So you’ve thought of starting your fish keeping hobby with the discus fish. You’ve visited your neighborhood pet shop, made some research on the Internet and you’ve sufficient devote your family area to help keep them. Now the essential question is ways to get started?
If you consider the Internet, you will discover that there are numerous websites specialized in discus fish. You get elaborate info on planting your aquarium for discus fish, treatment of water and its regular cleaning, feeding habits for them and so on. But you might be confused over different presentations.
If you want to find out some useful tips at one area for starting your hobby with discus fish, below are a few important ones –
1. You will have a sufficiently large tank for them. The tank must be at the least 60 gallons in capacity. For installing this kind of tank, in addition you require a sturdy base. You need to fix a great location which does not get exposure to direct sunshine. There ought to be some filtering working in your tank which will keep the water clean. There ought to be a heater for maintaining the temperature of the water. There ought to be an average system of lighting in place.
The tank must be covered with a hood all of the time. You should also have a line for cleaning underneath of the tank.
2. An individual will be ready we’d the aquarium, you must give sometime for cycling the water. This will help to form bacteria on the filters that will be helpful for the fish. You need to consult your pet fish search for the kind of filtering suitable for your tank.
3. Now let us turn to the stage of shopping for discus fish. You will obviously prefer healthy fish. If you’ll find out a great breeder near your area, you will have a way to get top quality fish. However, if you have none, you can still order by shipment from reputed breeders. The shipment will run you around $100 and you might go for urgent or priority service.
4. Once you get the discus fish at home, you must quarantine them for some time when you introduce them to your primary aquarium.
5. Here are a few important techniques for learning healthy discus fish. The movements of the fish must be reasonably fast. If the fish is wanting to full cover up at nighttime, you must avoid it. If you have any dead fish in the tank from which you are buying your fish, you must avoid such fish. You should also see whether there are any visible injuries on the fish. Skin must be without the scratch and it should not look slimy. The eyes of the fish must be clear. If the fish has bulging eyes, it’s not really a good indication. You should also see if the fish has the capacity to eat the foodstuff easily.
6. You should buy around 10 small discus catch the size of 60 gallon tank. There shouldn’t become more than 2 inches in length. However after they start growing, you must keep them in the proportion of 10 gallons of water per fish. This will allow you to to help keep the aquarium clean.
7. You can add some bigger size gravel so the cleaning becomes easy. When it gels your budget, you can include some ceramic decorative items which are attractive and will be possible for cleaning.
8. You need to try to help keep the conditions of water near to those which discus fish enjoy in their natural habitat. For this reason, change at the least 25 per cent of the water every three days. The temperature of the water shouldn’t exceed 84° F.
9. Your discus fish may have a huge appetite. But remember, hungry discus fish are always healthy. You can offer them a wide selection of food including flaked food, live food, boiled vegetables and frozen foods. You need to provide dry food each day as you can feed them live food in the afternoons and evenings.
When you have already decided you will start your fish-keeping hobby with discus fish, it’s a good decision. You will love every moment of it from buying them, their growth, their interaction together and their graceful swimming all over the aquarium. You will learn a great deal from your hobby. Always feel free to ask questions to your pet shop staff produce a research on the Internet and take advice from friends to update knowledge.